The device descriptor comprises details about the USB device in total. Each USB (Universal Serial Bus) device offers a solo device descriptor that includes essential information regarding the device. When it comes to transferring or sharing files, documents, or data from one device to another, Universal Serial Bus (USB) devices may be the first option.
USB arises in different kinds, like memory cards, USB flash drives, pen drives, and more. The USB device descriptor is used to save USB drive data, and it is liable for identifying various USB devices. If it fails to function correctly on Windows, the USB drive may not be determined by the PC, and you will receive errors such as Device Descriptor Request Failed USB.
The Unknown USB (Universal Serial Bus) device error states, or Device Descriptor Request Failed or Device Descriptor Failure, and the Windows no more identify a Universal Serial Bus device. It may happen with a memory or SD Card, and the PC will not read the memory card when inserted in the card slot. Therefore, for your assistance, we are providing various methods to fix the error.
- 1 What Does Device Descriptor Request Failed Mean?
- 2 Causes of USB Device Descriptor Failed
- 3 Error USB Device Descriptor Failure – 7 Methods [Solved]
- 3.1 Method 1: Uninstall Or Deactivate the USB Driver [Simple Trick]
- 3.2 Method 2: Try The Hardware and Device Troubleshooter
- 3.3 Method 3: Check Internet Connection or USB Device
- 3.4 Method 4: Check The Bad Areas For Malfunctioned USB Device
- 3.5 Method 5: Choose The USB Data Recovery Scheme
- 3.6 Method 6: Try And Use The USB Device With The Various USB Port
- 3.7 Method 7: Check and Correct the Power Setting
- 4 Digital Androids Final Conclusion
- 5 Device Descriptor Request Failed FAQs
What Does Device Descriptor Request Failed Mean?
The device descriptor is the origin of the descriptor tree and comprises standard device information. Unknown or Unidentified USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed) is a Windows Device Manager issue below the “Universal Serial Bus controllers” section. Windows do not identify that device, and it prompts an unknown USB device.
Windows PC stopped it because of the reported error, and it is not functioning correctly. Then, the Device Manager (DM) only registers the drive’s name as unidentified, and an error message is shown close to it. Frequently you face errors such as “Device Descriptor Request Failed Windows 10,” which requires instant fixing if you wish your USB device to be in the best and working condition.
Causes of USB Device Descriptor Failed
- The USB drive is broken because of the bad areas.
- Windows cannot identify the explanation of the USB device in question.
- The USB is damaged, corrupted, or traditional drivers.
- Many people encounter the “Device Descriptor Request Failed Xbox One Controller” error with the Xbox 360 controller. The error occurs due to a corrupted USB device.
- BIOS system has not been upgraded to the new and latest version.
- Some software or hardware elements have errors; for instance, the USB port is cracked.
Error USB Device Descriptor Failure – 7 Methods [Solved]
Method 1: Uninstall Or Deactivate the USB Driver [Simple Trick]
Step1: Firstly, hit the “Windows + R” keys to launch the Run utility and mention the “Devmgmt. MSC,” and press the “OK” tab.
Step2: After mentioning the command, it will open the Device Manager in the next window.
Step3: Increase the Universal Serial Bus (USB) controllers list, and choose the Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed) from the section.
Step4: Press on the chosen USB device and select the Uninstall button from the main options…now, it is best if you follow on-screen steps to deactivate the USB device.
Step5: After completing the uninstallation process, reboot your PC or laptop. It will easily reinstall the USB drive appropriately, which will assist you to remove the error.
Method 2: Try The Hardware and Device Troubleshooter
Troubleshooter is a worldwide troubleshooting software or tool built-in in Windows PC. It performs well in verifying and repairing various common system errors. So, to remove the USB\Device_Descriptor_Failure error, you need to follow the below-provided steps.
Step1: First of all, press on the “Start” tab available on the lower section of the screen, then go to the “S” column and choose the “Settings” option.
Step2: Search the “Update and Security” option for Recovery, Update, Backup, and press on it.
Step3: After that, choose “Troubleshoot” and then select the “Hardware and Devices” tab and press on the “Run the troubleshooter” tab.
Step4: Wait for the error detection procedure… If results show “No Recommended Troubleshooters Right Now” It’s good… otherwise follow the on-screen guide.
Step5: At last, press on the “Apply” button if any error is identified.
The “Dev error 6068 – DirectX faced an irreversible error” has become terrifying for Call of Duty Modern Warfare gamers. Similar dev 6068 errors are DirectX encountered an immutable error
Method 3: Check Internet Connection or USB Device
The primary way to solve (device descriptor request failed) error is to check the Internet connection status or USB device.
- First of all, you need to Remove the USB drive and put it into Another USB port to identify it.
- You may insert the device into Various Systems to check whether the USB device descriptor issue is causing the error.
- You may also remove the Power Switch or Plug from the PC or laptop and then Reboot the system and Reinsert the USB drive and check whether the error is fixed or not.
Method 4: Check The Bad Areas For Malfunctioned USB Device
You may also try to solve the device descriptor request issue by checking and fixing the bad areas in the failed USB drive. If you wish to know How to Fix Device Descriptor Request Failed the Last USB Device You Connected To This Computer Malfunctioned, check the entire bad areas from the third-party device.
- Bad areas are those that cannot be Written or Read. If there are various Bad Sectors or Areas available in the USB device, it is best to change the USB device with the latest and new drive.
- You may fix the bad areas on a USB drive by the Third-Party Device or Tool and Recover The File, data from it if it is Unreachable or Lost.
- You may also apply the USB Drive Data Recovery Tool… for this, you have to download and install the third-party tool and then move your cursor to the “Options” tab and solve the bad area’s error and recover data.
Method 5: Choose The USB Data Recovery Scheme
- If you want a free USB Data Recovery Plan, you may acquire the trial version and download it on your PC correctly.
- Attach The Target USB Device to your PC or laptop and open the software you have just downloaded by pressing on the icon tab.
- Move to the Removable Disk Drive Choice, and then have a look at the right side to check if your USB device Appears Here or Not.
- After that, Wait For Some Minutes for the complete scan. Then, search all the files, documents, and folders identified and listed by the tool to determine if they comprise the lost data you require.
- Now, press on the “Save” tab situated on the bottom side of the software interface.
- Lastly, select a Storage Path for the chosen documents or files and press on the “OK” tab to verify your selection (Note: this step can’t be completed if you are trying or using the trial version to scan the USB drive).
Method 6: Try And Use The USB Device With The Various USB Port
- In many situations, it may be that the device request descriptor failed occurs due to the USB Port Malfunction.
- Now, you have to check every accessible USB Port Separately. For this, you will determine if the error is because of the port or not.
- Connect your USB device to the Socket into one port simultaneously. Continue the process again until you have used all the USB ports. It will be simple to indicate which specific port has a disaster.
Method 7: Check and Correct the Power Setting
- Go to the “Power” tab, and select “USB Root Hub” properties, ensure that the power intake does not consume the permissible value. If this Device Descriptor Request Failed error is available, you should completely Shut Down the PC or laptop.
- The issue will not always appear, but with a fixed frequency. There is also a chance that the Connectors will de-energetic.
- After that, move your cursor to the Device Manager and go to the Controllers section, launch the Properties of these objects: “Generic USB Hub,” “Root Hub,” and “Compound Device.”
- If you notice that the power saving function is allowed on the “Power Management” tab, you have to uncheck the box given in the Power Management tab.
On Windows 10, sometimes the GeForce experience error code 0x0003 problems arise. An error message appears on the screen, which indicates that something went wrong and you then try rebooting your PC.
Digital Androids Final Conclusion
USB devices like pen drives, flash drives, or memory or SD cards are often used for simple and fast data transfer. Occasionally, it also makes various errors, and “Unknown USB Device” is one of the most common errors. If you want to know how to fix the device descriptor request failed error, then find the main reason and try the troubleshooting methods one by one.
Device Descriptor Request Failed FAQs
1. What is an Unknown USB Device?
Ans: The USB device is shown under Universal Serial Bus (USB) controllers, and it is marked as a yellow exclamation with the “Device Descriptor DD Request Failed” error.
2. Why USB Device Not Identified?
Ans: The USB device is not identified because of the poor line or interface contact, drive letter conflict, and more. After launching the Device Manager, you will see the USB device and then go to properties, and the “A Request For The USB Device Descriptor Failed” error will see on the General tab.
3. How To Reset The USB Ports?
Ans: On your system, go to “Start,” and then type the code and press the “Enter” tab. Go to Device Manager>Computer>Action and then choose “Scan for hardware changes,” and now check the USB device, if it is performing well or not.